No DACA = Government Shutdown?

Mark Becker, Staff Writer

Recently, the government of the United States has shut down due to disagreements and other complications. Ever since Trump announced in September that he would end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, created by previous president Obama, on the March fifth deadline unless Congress acted to extend it, Democrats in the House and Senate have been fighting for a permanent legislative fix to protect Dreamers. DACA was the number one reason for shutdown. President Trump has made new immigration rules for legal and illegal immigrants coming into the United States. He calls it the four pillars of immigration and here’s what it states. President Trump states, “ The first pillar of our framework generously offers a path to citizenship for 1.8 million illegal immigrants who were brought by thief parents at a young age — that covers almost three times more people than the previous administration. Under our plan, those who meet education and work requirements, and show good moral character, will be able to become full citizens of the United States.”

As covered before, the Dreamers of the DACA program would have a chance to earn citizenship on the United States through this new process, thanks to the President Trump Administration.

In the image above from the Congressional Research Center, 2017 data shows that most of the people with TPS, or Temporary Protected Status, are from El Salvador with 262,528, Honduras with 86,031, and Haiti with 58,557. Temporary Protected Status is a a different program, that originated in 1990, than the Differed Action for Childhood Arrivals program. It provides protection for people fleeing conflict or natural disasters, unlike and like DACA that protects children or young people that were brought to the United States by their parents.
The Trump administration has also decided to end Temporary Protected Status for those approximately two hundred and sixty two thousand Salvadorans in 2019. Most likely, he will do the same thing in a couple months for approximately fifty seven thousand Hondurans. This could potentially be a bad decision to the United States foreign policy, and could also result in pressure for more immigration. President Trump also says,” The second pillar fully secures the border. That means building a Great Wall on the Southern border, and it means hiring more heroes like CJ to keep our communities safe. Crucially, our plan closes the terrible loopholes exploited by criminals and terrorists to enter our country — and it finally ends the dangerous practice of catch and release.” Also covered before, to put a stop to illegal immigration, Trump plans to build a wall on the Southern border to prevent it, and he plans on hiring people to build the wall. According to journalist from Cato, George J. Borjas, he says the wall is a terrible idea, and that it won’t” work, its un-American, and it is not bold enough to deal with the immigration policy. He also states that “it’s far from clear that a wall would stop illegal immigration. Nearly half of the illegal immigrants are visa overstayers; they might land at Kennedy Airport or Los Angeles International Airport with, say, a tourist visa, then overstay the visa and quickly disappear in this big country.” He also thinks that the only way to truly end illegal immigration is to require an electronic system to certify legal status of freshly hired workers, with great penalties to those who break the law.

The third thing he said was, “ The third pillar ends the visa lottery — a program that randomly hands out green cards without any regard for skill, merit, or the safety of our people. It is time to begin mining towards a merit-based immigration system — one that admits people who are skilled, who want to work, who will contribute to our society, and who will love and respect our country. “Trump plans to implement a merit-based system, which will allow the best immigrants into the United States. For immigrants to get a green card, they must have a high school education at least, or they have to show two years of work experience in a skilled occupation. Immigrants then must pass a criminal test, national security test, and medical checks all immigrants have to pass. Realistically, an immigrant with a masters degree would be let into the United States opposed to an immigrant with a associates degree.
In another related story, Haitians were removed from the list of immigrants who were allowed to work in the United States, according to Yeganeh Torbati from Reuters, because of their low skilled work backgrounds.

And finally, Trump says, “The fourth and final pillar protects the nuclear family by ending chain migration. Under the current broken system, a single immigrant can bring in virtually unlimited numbers of distant relatives. Under our plan, we focus on the immediate family by limiting sponsorships to spouses and minor children. This vital reform is necessary, not just for our economy, but for our security, and our future.” Now things comes to a new topic of chain migration, which by definition is “a term used by demographers since the 1960s to refer to the social process by which migrants from a particular town follow others from that town to a particular destination city or neighborhood.”

Chain migration is a huge thing in the United States when it comes to dealing with immigrants. With that fourth pillar of the new immigration plans, the plan is to allow the nuclear family of the immigrant into the United States. For example if a person protected by DACA earns citizenship, their spouse and children are allowed into the United States as well. In figure 2, the data shows admission of parents and spouses from other countries. The data fluctuates over the years, but as you can see in the recent years, spouses admission into the United States is greater than parent admissions into the United States as of 2016. According to whitehouse.gov, data shows that every hour due to chain migration, there are enough immigrants to fill a small auditorium, every day there are enough to fill a large high school, every week there are enough to fill a basketball arena, every month there are enough to fill a football stadium, and every year there are enough to fill the whole state of Washington D.C.

If that were to be put into numbers, 118,356 would fill Washington D.C., 9,863 would fill the football stadium, 329 would fill the basketball arena, 47 would fill a large high school, and 8 would fill a small auditorium. Now these number don’t really match up with the comparisons, but it’s there for a reference. George J. Borjas on chain migration also says, “Those who argue that getting rid of chain migration is racist are just throwing scare words into the fire to choke debate. Our current system lets a new immigrant eventually sponsor the entry of her brother, who can then sponsor the entry of his wife, who can sponsor her father, who can sponsor his sister, and so on. Does it really make sense for one entry today to eventually lead to a visa for the immigrant’s sister-in-law’s aunt?” Border security and illegal immigration are linked together. When borders are secure, and done properly, it is proven that illegal immigration is cut down way more.
In a quote from President Trump, he says,” For decades, open borders have allowed drugs and gangs to pier into out most vulnerable communities. They’ve allowed millions of low-wage workers to compete for jobs and wages against the poorest Americans.” This proves that border security and immigration go hand in hand. If there’s no border security, illegal immigrants would pour into the country, that’s why President Trump wants Border Patrol up so illegal immigration goes down. In attempted interviews with Debbie Stabenow, Alex Nowrasteh, Gary Peters, and many more, I asked all of them the same following question: How do you think the new immigration pillars will affect the way immigrants enter the United States? I asked Debbie Stabenow for a more local, Michigander response, along with Gary Peters. Now Congress is having another intense debate on the immigration reform, on a February 8th deadline when lawmakers must pass a spending bill. If not, the government is most likely to shut down again due to more complications and disagreements.

In conclusion, the four new pillars of immigration offer new four things for Dreamers and other immigrants. The first pillar offers a path for citizenship for the DACA members currently being protected in the United States. The second pillar will build a wall and secure the Southern border to prevent any further illegal immigration into the United States. The third pillar will end the visa lottery system, which will basically let the best immigrants into the United States. And finally, the fourth pillar will put an end to excessive chain migration, but it will allow the nuclear family of the immigrant into the United States as well.