Catholic Youth Football

Sean Pilon

Last time, I wrote about how Catholicism has affected high school football players, and this time, I visited a CYO football team to find out how their Catholic faith has helped their life.

I went back to my old CYO team, the Redford Catholic Lancers. They practice outside of their church at Our Lady of Loretta at 6 Mile and Beech Daly. The Head Coach, Mark Pelton, spoke to me after practice about how coaching this team has affected his faith life. He said, “Before two years ago I wasn’t Catholic, but I was still coaching this team. I just love helping the kids out and making their lives better.” Coach Pelton believes that the Catholic faith helps people’s lives in many ways. “There have been nights where I couldn’t sleep because I worry about some of the kids being on the streets and not focusing on school.” Coach Pelton is a true missionary disciple of God because he is not hyper focused on winning all of the football games, but rather, getting the kids to the right places in life.

Coach Pelton’s son, Dave, is also an assistant coach. Coach Dave has created a new prayer for the team to say before every game. It goes like this:

“Lord,

I am only one,

But I am one.

I can’t do everything,

But I can do something.

And that,

Which I’m about to do,

With Your help,

I will do.

Amen”.

The Pelton men are just one example of people making a small difference in the lives of children all over metro Detroit. There are missionary disciples everywhere we look, and it is our duty to follow in their footsteps.