New Year New Me?

Cathie Vink, Associate Editor

Almost everyone has made New Year’s resolutions at some point in their lives and almost all of these people have most likely broken these resolutions. Around forty percent of people make New Year’s resolutions and around sixty percent of resolutions fail. Many common resolutions are to lose weight by joining extremely packed gyms, quit smoking, manage piles of debt, or quit drinking.

New Year’s resolutions or goals are often made in effort to conform to a societal normality. For example, a resolution to lose weight or work out may be made in attempt to adapt to society’s unreasonably high and unrealistic expectations of what men and women should look like. A resolution should be something that will give you a sense of fulfillment once you accomplish it, not something that will help you feel superior to others.

You should reflect and act upon the mistakes you made the past year to help ensure that the resolutions you make this year will yield the best version of yourself. A resolution does not just have to be just about the physical aspect of a person. It can also be emotional or spiritual. These types of goals could include setting aside more alone time, spending more quality time with family and friends, and becoming more in touch with your faith. Emotional and spiritual goals can help decreases stress in lives and replace that stress and anxiety with happiness and relaxation.

A new year is a chance to start over and create goals, but every day is also a new chance to create these goals. When a resolution fails, there is always tomorrow to try again.