The Benefits Of Hunting

Garrett Breen, Staff Writer

Since the beginning of time, the art of hunting has benefited many. Hunting is not just used as a source for food, but also has other purposes. Hunting is a huge resource to benefit the economy, but also plays a huge beneficial role in the ecological impact of population and habitats of animals.

Hunting is on a constant uprise and is more popular than ever with 16 million people registered. 14 million of those hunters are over the age of 16 who will partake in this year’s hunting season alone. The other 2 million hunters are said to be under the age of 16 and will be participating with a guardian.

Hunters play a huge role in the economy. Each year, they buy equipment geared for their hunt, including guns, ammo, and clothing. With the current rate of firearm and ammunition sales, hunters are contributing about $370 million a year. Additionally, there is nearly $800 million spent annually on licenses and permits.

These purchases help push money into local economies. According to a census in 2011, the purchases of hunting equipment lead to a whopping total of $38.3 billion dollars. That total is more than the revenue Yahoo made in the same year. The dollars brought in from hunting help fund thousands of jobs, but also, feed into habitat improvements for our wildlife.

The plethora of jobs created by the act of hunting should not be underestimated. According to the ​California Department of Fish and Wildlife​, it creates more than 700,000 jobs nationwide. These impressive numbers help to raise attention on the impact hunting is bringing to the economy we live in today.

The money from hunting season helped struggling rural communities and businesses stay afloat and pay their employees for another year. The jobs created and made possible from hunting include blue and white collar jobs. Jobs are available in the manufacturing and the development of firearms, archery, animals calls, clothing, ammunition, Atvs (hunting vehicles) and much more.

Hunting is a great wildlife management tool and plays a huge role in keeping habits in check. It keeps nature at a healthy balance at which the habitat can support.

For many wildlife species, hunting also helps maintain populations at levels compatible with human activity and land use. By regulating the harvest, it helps make sure the the amount of animals is compatible with the amount of food the land offers.

Rob Puckett, Divine Child’s security guard and avid big game hunter, stated, “Hunting is a great tool to manage wildlife, it keeps habitats at a suitable amount and prevents overpopulation, which would end up hurting the animals’ habitat in the long run.”

Wildlife is a renewable resource that is harvestable. This harvestable surplus is never exhausted. Hunting serves as an important part of preserving ecosystems. As an example, in 1907, only 41,000 elk remained in North America. Thanks to the money and hard work invested by hunters to restore and conserve habitats, currently there are more than 1 million elk.