Class of 2017: College Decisions

Senior Dillon Champagne- Salem International

Eric Gillis, Editor-in-Chief

The month of May brings many things along with it- May flowers, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, the feeling of summer, and college decisions. Every year by May 1st, high school seniors around the country must declare where they will be attending school this coming fall. At Divine Child High School, this year is no different. Some seniors have known for months, others have decided within the past couple days. Regardless of when the decision was made, everything is set for this coming fall.

The majority of the seniors at Divine Child have elected to remain within the state of Michigan for their schooling. Reasons for this could be many- they may want to stay close to family, they may have a strong connection to their future university- but namely it is the cost of higher education. With college tuition prices soaring, many kids especially here at Divine Child, do not have the option to attend any school in the country. They have to stay local within the state to keep college tuition costs down.

Among the senior class, the popular universities this year are Grand Valley, Western Michigan, and Michigan State. A decent amount of students are starting to stray away from the usually popular options of Wayne State and U of M Ann Arbor. As it is every year, the admission standards at U of M keep getting tougher and tougher. With the struggle to get in, and the even greater struggle to foot the $100,000 bill Michigan will give you at graduation, U of M Dearborn has been an enticing option for many students this year. They will be able to remain close to home while going class, be able to hold a job, and in the end will still get the ever-coveted University of Michigan degree. Vince Micallef will be attending the University of Detroit Mercy in the fall. “It is close enough to home where I can return on the weekends if need be, but still get the experience of living on a college campus,” said Micallef when asked for a reason on why he will be attending U of D Mercy in the fall. There are a few students who have turned to the military as an option to have their schooling paid for, by serving our country in return.

The class of 2017 has a handful of students who will be continuing their athletic careers in college. One in particular is Liam Soraghan, who will be attending Northern Illinois to play football. Another is Dillon Champagne, who is the first ever student out of Divine Child to attend Salem International in West Virginia where he will play baseball in the fall. “I just feel blessed to be able to continue playing baseball at the next level wherever that may be. I am happy Salem International is giving me this opportunity to continue on the path to my dream of being drafted.”

Regardless of where the class of 2017 go in the coming years, they will always have a support system and family they can lean back on at Divine Child High School. Once a Falcon, always a Falcon.