The Pistons are Finally Coming Home

Amber Morgan, Staff Writer

The Pistons are finally coming home, to downtown Detroit. When the Pistons make the move from the city of Auburn Hills to Little Caesars Arena next October, Detroit will become the only city in the United States to have all four professional sports arenas within walking distance of one another.

The Detroit Pistons will be sharing Little Caesars Arena with the Detroit Red Wings. During a press conference that took place on November 22nd, 2016, Tom Gores the Detroit Pistons Owner was joined by the Mayor of Detroit, Mike Duggan. Together they announced that the Pistons will be playing their 29th and final season in Auburn Hills. They will be joining the Red Wings next season in the move to Little Caesars next October.

“This is a historic day for our franchise, and for the City of Detroit,” Gores said at the press conference. “Detroit is rising, reinventing itself. The Pistons are doing the same. We’re in this together, and we couldn’t be more excited about that.”

This move is happening for a multitude of reasons but one of the biggest reasons is that this move should increase tickets sales tremendously. Moving the Pistons back to Detroit, Gores hope that it will increase attendance at each game.

Despite the fact that this will benefit the City of Detroit, the Detroit Pistons and increase tickets sales, this move is not even close to free. For the Pistons to move downtown to Little Caesars Arena it will cost them a total of $34.5 million dollars in additional expenses. But according to Tom Gores, this is all worth it, Gores is absolutely positive that this is the right move for not only the franchise but for the fans. Gores tells the Detroit Free Press, “This is the right move for our fans and for our players players, how can we interact with the Community. It is the right call. It’s the right time for us to do it.”