Facebook Destroying

Henry Rich

This past week an ex-Facebook VP, Chamath Palihapitiya, spoke about his “guilt” on the growing of social media. He stated “(social media) eroded the core foundations of how people behave by and between each other. It literally is at a point now where I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. That is truly where we are. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops that we have created are destroying how society works: no civil discourse, no cooperation, misinformation, mistruth. And it’s not an American problem. This is not about Russian ads. This is a global problem.”

He means that the ability now for people to connect is completely gone and is only done via the Internet. He even states that social media is causing the loss of cooperation between others and leads us to believe most of the things we see on social media. A very good example of this being a global problem is when there was a hoax in India where misinformation spread through the WhatsApp led to the hanging of several men who had been falsely believed to be guilty of being child traffickers. This stance by Palihapitiya has inspired others to speak on the topic. Investor Sean Parker said he is now a “conscientious objector to social media and that Facebook and others had succeeded by exploiting a vulnerability in human psychology.” This vulnerability that we have used against us everyday so social media can put ideas in out mind and gain power. Another manger of the company named Antonio Garcia Martinez said that, “Facebook lies about its ability to influence individuals based on the data it collects on them.”

These and other allegations have caused Mark Zuckerberg, owner and creator of Facebook, to respond with the following: “for the ways my work was used to divide people rather than bring us together, I ask for forgiveness.” This movement further proves that social media is the driving factor in breaking the social fabric put in place by others before us and is ruining connections between people.