Opposing Changing English Translation of Our Father

Pope Francis questions the English translation of the Lord’s prayer, however he denies a desire to revise the Our Father. As Monsignor Charles Pope explains, “[Pope Francis] did not want to propose any change in the text.” In a recent interview with an Italian Catholic television network, [Pope Francis] stated that the current English translation “Lead us not into temptation” gives the false impression that God leads people to sin. Although this phrase may confuse some people or give the false impression that God intentionally causes temptation, this confusion provides an important truth about God. We tend to give credit to worldly, materialistic things for causing events to occur, when in reality God was the creator of those things and therefore allowed them to happen. People owe themselves to God as He is the primary source of everything that is good, thus showing us we are not the primary causes of our actions. This directly shows us that God would never lead us to sin and explains why the current statement in the English translation of the Our Father may be falsely interpreted to those reciting the prayer.

Given the potential for misinterpretation of the current phrase, Pope Francis suggested using “Do not let us fall into temptation” to eliminate a false meaning. “It is not God who throws me into temptation and then sees how I fell … A father does not do that; a father helps you to get up immediately.” Changing the Lord’s Prayer to say “Do not let us fall into temptation” changes the words we were originally taught to pray by Jesus. Pope Francis wants us to understand that God is there to help us and if an incident occurs God will not sit back and watch, he will provide a way for us to get back up on our feet and continue moving in the right direction.

The Lord’s prayer is the one thing Catholics have in common with Protestants and other Christians. Although “art”, “thou” , and “hallowed” are such small words that do not seem very important, they are a special part of the treasured prayer known to the vast majority of those who speak English throughout the world. Aside from the temptation phrase, there are general thoughts to change words such as “art”, “thou”, and “hallowed” to reflect more common phrasing. Therefore, changing any of the wording could separate Catholics from other Christians. There might be opportunities within the Our Father to provide further clarification of the true meaning, but changing any of the words or phrases has the potential to further confuse and separate Christians, which seems counterintuitive to God’s goal for us to be one with each other and Him.