Movie Review: Thor Ragnarok

Henry Rich

The roads where the comic book world and religion cross may share more similarities than you might think. These similarities are presented in the newest Marvel Cinematic Universe movie: Thor Ragnarok. Thor Ragnarok is about Thor, imprisoned on the other
side of the universe, and finding himself in a deadly gladiatorial contest against the Hulk, his former ally and fellow Avenger. Thor’s quest for survival leads him in a race against time to save his homeland, Asgard, from his sister Hela.

While this movie has a bizarre plot about ‘gods’ fighting through the universe, it still has a sense of humor and entertainment value which makes you want to never look away from the screen. Thor brings plots to the table from many strands of the Marvel Comic Universe, adding plots to build off of for their movies coming out in 2018.

Despite the humor recently added to the Thor trilogy, the movie still does a very good job of staying on the very serious storyline that portrays themes that are implicitly theological. The Marvel Universe has always implied the god-like status of the royal families of Asgard. In the movie, we learn Thor’s role as god of Thunder and as the Prince of Peace. In this movie, we also learn the violent origin story of Asgard.

Not only does this movie refer to Genesis and redemption stories, but it refers to the Book of Revelation with the idea of Ragnarok. Ragnarok is the end of times, and refers to the final destruction of the world. Not only is Ragnarok a prophecy, but it is complete with a malevolent antichrist, Hela. She is the nearly exact embodiment of the Biblical description of the devil; “comes only to steal and kill and destroy(John 10:10).” Like the Biblical book of Revelation, the movie also offers a profound reflection on the Church, that wouldn’t be out of keeping with John’s letters to the seven churches.

To add on to the religious aspect the film, it offers Asgard as a Promise land to the citizens of it, although in the end of the movie the people realize that not the literal land defines them. This is just like how the Church is not the physical building, but all of the people who make it up.

I would give Thor Ragnarok a 9/10. Chris Hemsworth was
outstanding whereas Tom Hiddleston played Loki mischievous as always. The plot was outstanding with humor weaved into every scene. So go to your local movie theater see Thor
Ragnarok in theaters everywhere.