Samsung vs. Apple

Andrew Vincent, Staff Writer

Samsung Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 6

With the recent announcement of the iPhone 6, you may be asking yourself, Is it worth it? While the price difference it only $50, this will most likely be a phone you will be spending at least two years. You can’t compare raw specifications of two phones from different companies, this is due to the architecture difference used in the CPU and GPU. The main example is with Apple’s new A8 processor, while it is technically only a dual-core 1.4Ghz (Gigahertz) compared to the Snapdragon 801 clocked at 2.5GHz in the Galaxy S5, they are actually very similar in performance. This is because the architecture in the A8 supports around two billion transistors, exact number is unknown. While, in numbers, the processor in Samsung’s device appears more powerful, that is not the case.

The higher GHz count, mAh count, Milliamperes (measurement in battery capacity, amount of ram, and screen resolution allow the Galaxy S5 to look more appealing, but should very rarely be used to purchase a phone. The main things you should look for when buying a phone are features, software and operating system. These are the main differences you will notice between the phones. The main notable differences are UI (User Interface), camera settings, and built-in apps. The iPhone aims for a very simplistic interface, while Samsung with a Touchwiz skin over Android 4.4 aims for user customizability. Also because the phones are made by different companies, they have different accessories. such accessories are wireless charging pads, covers and bands, styli, and wearable tech like Google Glass and Smart Watches are just a few examples. These accessories can impact how the device will fit into your life.

In the end it depends on how you plan to use the device. If you have a Mac you are more likely yo get a iPhone, because they streamline the process of communicating with each other. Though iPhone’s don’t communicate well with existing Android phones. So which phone are you more likely to buy, the iPhone 6 or the Samsung Galaxy S5?