The Pistons Resurgence Part 2

Michael Orozco, Associate editor

The magical seven game run that the Detroit Pistons have been on over the last two weeks has come to an end at the hand of the Eastern Conference leading Atlanta Hawks by a score of 106-103. After this impressive stretch, the Pistons are right back in the playoff hunt in the east and if they keep up this play should have no problems cracking the top eight. So, what have we learned about this team after their revival? Not having Josh Smith has freed up space for the young players to flourish. Brandon Jennings, Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Jodie Meeks, and D.J. Augustine have gelled into a very productive fast paced back court. Their young legs can really push the ball up and down the court, tiring teams out. After the Smith trade, it was unclear if power forward Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond would ever find an effective way to co-exist together. As evident though, the two together are dynamite duo that eats up the glass like few other front courts in the league. Drummond is a budding star in the league with raw athleticism that most seven footers only dream about. Monroe’s addition of a face up game really compliments Drummond’s aggressive offensive board crashing approach. The Pistons have also proven that they can play Western Conference elite teams. After a compelling comeback in San Antonio against the Spurs and a dominating win against the Dallas Mavericks, it should come as no surprise that the Pistons could win a playoff series this year. In these two victories, the Pistons also showed their previously lacking depth. Kyle Singler, Jonas Jerebko, Joel Anthony, and Caron Butler provide outside shooting, defense, and in the case of Butler an Anthony, stellar leadership. The four guard rotation as mentioned earlier has also been a plus for the Pistons allowing head coach Stan Van Gundy to play the hot hand each night instead of one or two players. The Pistons are back on the NBA map and if they can keep up their energy and team chemistry will be playing for a title this season.