Can Science Say “NO” to God?

Dean Jarois, Staff Writer

Divine Child High School is going to receive a very important visit from Mr. Karlo Broussard, a well-known Catholic apologist and the founder of the Divine Child Institute for Catechetical Renewal, Inc. Mr. Broussard, according to his profile on www.catholic.com, left his country music passion to fulfill his call from God. He possesses several prestigious college degrees including a Bachelor of Arts in Theology from Catholic Distance University, and a Master’s Degree in Pastoral Theology with a focus on evangelization. He is also the Director of the Magis Center Speakers Bureau. I would like to welcome Mr. Broussard to Divine Child High School on behalf of us all.

One of the things that Mr. Broussard will be talking to us about is the existence of God. In these days where everyone has a friend or relative battling cancer, the Middle East is falling into violence, the government of North Korea continues to oppress their own people, and of course, the most recent attacks in France, it is sometimes hard to remember that God is with us. This is the reason why more and more people are beginning to question their faith, and ask themselves: does God exist? In fact, Google Trends seems to show that “God” is searched 21% more frequently now than ten years ago. People are hungry for philosophy, and whether or not God exists seems to be a hot topic.

Broussard is convinced that God exists, and is interested in helping people around the country find Him. Broussard, knowing his audience, attempts to use science and reason to explain God’s existence through two arguments, namely, the Kalam Argument and the Fine Tuning Argument. The former, also known as the Cosmological Argument, relies on the ‘causes and effects’ of the universe to suggest that the universe must have a cause outside itself. The latter states that there are simply too many ‘coincidences’ in the laws of nature, and the odds of our very existence being so infinitesimally small that there must be a creator.

Science is amazing, and can answer a lot of questions. Science is responsible for virtually all inventions of the modern age, and will continue to produce great questions, and maybe even great answers. God, on the other hand, is omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent. God’s omnipotence, in other words, His infinite power, comes directly from Gospel (With God all things are possible. Matt. 19:26). God is also omniscient, or all knowing (Lord, Thou knowest all things. John 21:17) and omnipresent, or present everywhere (Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the Lord. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the Lord. Jer. 23:24). Because natural science is the study of the natural world, and nothing in the natural world exhibits these qualities, God behaves outside the realm of science. Therefore, is it really logical to apply scientific laws in attempt to find evidence of God? Perhaps the application of science limits God, or challenges His omnipotence. “The evidence that we give from science DOES NOT and CANNOT prove God’s existence” answered Mr. Broussard when presented the said question. “God is outside the boundaries of scientific inquiry. However, it can contribute to the discussion on God’s existence by providing evidence that supports particular premises… So, rather than our investigation of the scientific evidence taking away from God’s power, etc., it actually points toward it.”

Joel Baseley, a well-known pastor in the Lutheran Church- Missouri Synod, and the pastor of Emmanuel Lutheran Church in Dearborn, who also has a Master’s Degree in chemistry, partially agrees to both points of view, stating that although God behaves outside the realm of science, “[God has] left his fingerprints on [creation]; which actually does open the door Biblically to a natural knowledge of God and an argument to be made for God’s existence through the examination and study of Nature.” Pastor Baseley forms this view from evidence he found in the book of Romans. “Paul does say (Romans 1:20, NKJV): “For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,” which actually does open the door to God’s transcendent attributes being displayed for all to see plainly in the creation.” He continues, writing that “Atheism needs to exert itself so forcefully and constantly to make any headway because it is counter intuitive to what everyone knows in his heart.” Furthermore, the Catechism of the Catholic Church says “God is infinitely greater than all His works (para. 300).”

Broussard clearly has some excellent evidence to share with the Divine Child community this upcoming week, however, it seems as though his evidence is especially directed towards the unbelievers. Imagine for a second if the entire concept of God was foreign to human civilization. There is, and has never been, in our hypothetical world, a Bible, a Qur’an, Torah, or any other sacred text. Then, one day, scientists present compelling evidence (such as Mr. Broussard’s) to suggest that a deity exists. How would that change the public?

A god is a god, but our God is our God because of that which He has revealed to us. Simply acknowledging a deity will never be enough, because humans are always hungry for answers. The Kalam Argument can just as easily bring someone to love the Hindu gods and goddesses as it can to our Triune God. Mr. Cory Dixon, who has a Master’s Degree in theology from University of Chicago, acknowledges that the original proofs of God, specifically Aristotle’s, bring a person “not to Jesus, but rather a primordial force.” A soul who really longs for God should look not toward science, but towards God’s revelation: The Gospel. God Himself came down from Heaven, and by the power of the Holy Spirit was incarnate of the Virgin Mary and became Man (Nicene Creed). So, where do I look for God? Not in science, but rather on the Cross, in the empty Tomb, in Heaven, and in God’s eternal word. For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life (John 3:16). The Catechism of the Catholic Church also says “The Word became flesh so that thus we might know God’s love (Para. 458).

Broussard responded again, saying that the Revelation of God is outside the scope of his presentation. “The presentation that I am giving is simply to help those that perceive science as an obstacle to the acknowledgement of God’s existence. This helps to begin the journey to theism. It requires a whole new project to begin figuring out the right revelation namely Jesus Christ.” Therefore, if you already acknowledge the existence of a deity, it is incredibly important to look forward, past the science, into God’s Word.

May God Bless you all, and may God especially bless Mr. Broussard as he continues to spread the Good News. Mr. Broussard- The Divine Child Community welcomes you and we are thankful for having you with us this week.