Infectious Greed and Common Carriers: Pitched Battle for the Health of the Body Politic

Josh Hejka, Editor
May 30, 2014
Filed under Top Stories, Uncategorized

The internet is more complex than we like to think. Information and data can be created, and then accessed, by anyone. It seems as if it is almost a peer-to-peer service, where content creators and consumers can communicate and share things virtually unhindered. For example, Netflix can... Read more »

The Wonderful World of Pope Francis: A New Era Begins

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
September 21, 2013
Filed under Christian Tradition, Gospel Values, Lives of Responsibility and Leadership, Top Stories

Ever since the conclave elected him in March, Pope Francis has marked a new era in the Catholic Church. He brings new ideas, along with a change in priorities, to the Church, while not going against doctrine. Francis, the first Jesuit to be Pope, is notable for his humility.... Read more »

Top-Secret Government Program is Spying on Your Social Media

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
June 7, 2013
Filed under Lives of Responsibility and Leadership, Top Stories

Yesterday, a shocking revelation regarding our internet privacy came to light. A government program named PRISM, as described in a top-secret presentation obtained by a joint investigation by... Read more »

Big Brother is Swabbing

Big Brother is Swabbing

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
June 6, 2013

The method of fingerprinting of arrested people, a process that has helped the police for over a hundred years, may soon be replaced by a much more modern forensic technique, one that was just validated by our judiciaries. This Monday, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 that the... Read more »

The Future of Money: Bitcoin

The Future of Money: Bitcoin

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
June 3, 2013

Recently, a new currency has taken the world by storm. Called Bitcoin, it is completely open-source, and has been heralded as everything from “the future of money” to a currency with... Read more »

Gitmo Situation Becoming More Serious: 100 Hunger Strikers

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
April 30, 2013
Filed under Gospel Values, Lives of Responsibility and Leadership, Top Stories

This weekend, the US military recognized the hundredth hunger striker in Guantanamo Bay, a military prison located in Cuba. Gitmo has been the center of controversy ever since it was converted to a prison in 2002. In 2008, then-candidate Barack Obama promised to close the camp sometime in... Read more »

#RohingyaNOW

#RohingyaNOW

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
April 21, 2013

Genocide is the slaughter of a certain group, based on either cultural, religious, or racial differences, among others. It seems almost unthinkable in a nation like the US, where we (for the most part) celebrate our differences. However, nations around the world suffer from this and have... Read more »

Kimani Gray: The Next Trayvon

Kimani Gray: The Next Trayvon

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
April 13, 2013

Early Sunday afternoon, protesters held a march in memory of Kimani Gray, a 16-year-old from Flatbush, Brooklyn who was shot and killed by the NYPD. Police say the teen pulled a gun on two plainclothes officers, who shot him in response. The officers fired eleven shots total, and Gray was... Read more »

The Way That Romney Could Have Won

The Way That Romney Could Have Won

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 10, 2013

This past election saw Barack Obama defeating Mitt Romney, 332 electoral votes to Romney’s 206. Obama also had nearly 5 million more total votes than Romney, a 3.7% difference. The electoral college has always been a large point of contention, and there may be a big change coming to it soon. [caption... Read more »

The Super Bowl Commercial You Will Not See Tonight

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 3, 2013
Filed under Gospel Values, Top Stories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68al-o2XSpE As the football season is coming to a close tonight with the Super Bowl, Americans will be watching for one of two reasons. Either to watch the Niners and the Ravens face off on the gridiron, or for the commercials, which reportedly... Read more »

Immigration Reform May Finally Be Here

Immigration Reform May Finally Be Here

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 3, 2013

Immigration has always been a key issue for President Obama. Last year, he announced that his administration would stop deporting young illegal immigrants who matched criteria from the DREAM Act. However, it appears he is looking for a more permanent solution to a system he calls “out of date and badly... Read more »

The Death of Aaron Swartz (Part 3): Change

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 28, 2013

This is part three of a series on the life and death of Aaron Swartz. For part one, go here, and... Read more »

The Death of Aaron Swartz (Part 2): The Mission

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 27, 2013

This is part two of a series on the life and death of Aaron Swartz. For part one, go here, and for... Read more »

The Death of Aaron Swartz (Part 1): The Man

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 27, 2013

This is part one of a series on the life and death of Aaron Swartz. For part two, go here,... Read more »

President Obama Inaugurated: What Do the Next Four Years Hold?

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 21, 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zncqb-n3zMo Yesterday, President Barack Obama took the official oath of the office of the President of the United States, and today, he took the public one. As he began his inauguration speech, he was greeted to chants of “Obama! Obama!” This speech was different... Read more »

REVIEW: “The Price of Politics” by Bob Woodward

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 21, 2013

The book “The Price of Politics” by Bob Woodward discusses the battle of the two parties of our political system regarding the debt ceiling crisis of 2011 and how difficult and tense these negotiations were. But there is an underlying message. This dysfunction that made this crisis go on and on was... Read more »

A Fiscal Cliff Update

A Fiscal Cliff Update

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 18, 2013

On December 31, Congress avoided the so-called “fiscal cliff” by agreeing on a last-minute deal that Representative Barbara Lee (D-CA) calls “far from perfect”. But what exactly was this “fiscal cliff”, what made it happen, and why was everybody so worried? The fiscal cliff would be a... Read more »

The Gun Control Debate (UPDATED)

The Gun Control Debate (UPDATED)

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 13, 2013

In the weeks following the tragic Newtown shooting, the debate over gun control has raged on, with the battle between pro-gun and pro-gun-control advocates becoming the strongest it has been possibly ever. We as a nation are finally talking about this issue instead of putting it off because it is “too... Read more »

The Politics of the Newtown Tragedy & How to Prevent This From Happening Again

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
December 16, 2012

On Friday, the most disgusting, unspeakable tragedy occurred in Newtown, Connecticut. A gunman opened fire in an elementary school, killing 20 innocent kids and seven innocent adults, including his own mother. The gunman was found dead at the scene. On behalf of everyone here at DCFIA, our prayers are... Read more »

Michigan Becomes 24th Right-To-Work State: What It Means

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
December 14, 2012

This Tuesday, Governor Rick Snyder signed the bills that make Michigan the 24th right-to-work state in America. These bills cover both private and public sector unions, and are a part of the continuing effort from the “one tough nerd” to crack down on unions in Michigan. How will being a right-to-work... Read more »

A Quick Guide to Voting Tomorrow

A Quick Guide to Voting Tomorrow

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
November 5, 2012
Filed under Gospel Values, Lives of Responsibility and Leadership, Top Stories, Uncategorized

This election season is finally coming to a close, culminating in Election Day tomorrow, Tuesday, November 6. Gone will be the endless barrage of political ads as we as Americans will decide the President, and we as Michiganders will choose to approve six different propositions or not, as well as elect... Read more »

This Election Is Important, Use DCFIA as a Guide

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
September 25, 2012

This upcoming election, a not-so-wide menu of candidates will be placed in front of those of us that are 18 or older. Who is elected could affect many people in our country, and one should not make a decision on whom to vote for without facts and solid knowledge to base the vote on. This week, Faith... Read more »

Paul Ryan Chosen as Mitt Romney’s Running Mate

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
August 15, 2012
Filed under Lives of Responsibility and Leadership

This Saturday, presumptive Republican nominee Mitt Romney chose Wisconsin Representative Paul Ryan as his running mate. Ryan was chosen over other VP hopefuls, including Tim Pawlenty and Rob Portman. The media considers Ryan as a “bold” choice, as his ideas for the budget are very radical. He credits... Read more »

Tragedy In Colorado: The Repercussions

Tragedy In Colorado: The Repercussions

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
July 27, 2012

This past Friday, an unbelievable tragedy occurred in Aurora, Colorado at a midnight premiere of the wildly anticipated movie The Dark Knight Rises. An armed gunman dressed in body armor entered theater 9 in the Century Theater and proceeded to throw tear gas grenades and start firing into the... Read more »

The LIBOR Scandal

The LIBOR Scandal

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
July 25, 2012

Interest rates. They show up everywhere, from mortgages to credit cards, but you probably do not wonder much where they come from. You may assume they are set by the market or supply and demand. However, this is not the case. All interest rates are based upon a benchmark call the London Interbank Offered... Read more »

Arizona Immigration: Thomas Jefferson’s Losing Streak Continues

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
July 10, 2012
Filed under Lives of Responsibility and Leadership, Top Stories, Uncategorized

This past week, the United States Supreme Court has announced a bevy of important decisions, from upholding Citizens United to the long-awaited ruling on Obamacare. Among these significant judgments is one on the controversial Arizona immigration law, called the Support Our Law Enforcement and Safe... Read more »

Obamacare Ruled Constitutional

Obamacare Ruled Constitutional

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
July 4, 2012

This Thursday, the Supreme Court announced one of the most important rulings of our generation, the one on the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA). PPACA, also known as Obamacare, was officially signed into law by President Obama in March 2010. Since then, there has been a huge uproar... Read more »

A Rising Star

A Rising Star

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
June 13, 2012
Filed under Top Stories

History was made this week as the third gubernatorial recall election ever took place in Wisconsin. Democrats attempted to recall Governor Scott Walker and failed, marking the first time a governor has survived a recall election. The election was a rematch between Walker and his Democratic opponent from... Read more »

Our Graduating Seniors

Josh Hejka, George Betz, Jackie White, Jarod Ritchie, and Natalie Berry
May 24, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

This year, 212 seniors graduated from Divine Child High School, and each of them will be going their own separate way into new lives. The seniors are separating into very different lives, as some are going into the military, others into vocational schools, and others into 2-year and 4-year universities. Out... Read more »

Mercy Mercy Me

Mercy Mercy Me

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
March 23, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

"Children and young people have a right to be motivated to appraise moral values with a right conscience, to embrace them with a personal adherence, together with a deeper knowledge and love of God." This is what Pope Paul VI declared in 1965 in the Gravissimum Educationis. Around 2 million students... Read more »

The Vatican is Attacked by Anonymous

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
March 18, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

In the last two weeks, the official Vatican website was attacked twice by notorious hacktivism group Anonymous, once on March 7 and again on March 12. Anonymous has carried out many attacks against prominent websites and groups, including Operation... Read more »

You’re Breaking the Law Without Even Knowing It

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
March 18, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

This March, as NCAA March Madness begins, a huge amount of betting also begins. Each year, over $3 billion changes hands because of bracket pools in America, most of it illegally through bookies and online sportsbooks. But surely joining an office or school pool can't be illegal, right? It's just friendly... Read more »

The Contraception Debate: Is It a War on Religion?

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
March 11, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

There has been a huge uproar recently about a mandate from the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). This mandate requires that the insurance that Catholic-sponsored establishments supply their employees with must cover contraception and birth control. The Catholic Church is firmly against both... Read more »

The Michigan Primary: Analyzing the Results

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
March 2, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

This Tuesday marked the Republican primaries in Michigan and Arizona. Mitt Romney won both states, which brings him to a total delegate count of 162, while Rick Santorum is in second with 79. However, momentum, possibly more important than winning in these early states, is extremely valuable. One way... Read more »

What Lent is Truly About and Mr. Dixon’s Lenten Promise

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 20, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Lent is a time of the year to improve upon your life, even if you are not religious. Many Christians take it as a time to help grow in your faith with God. Giving up an item you enjoy used to be normal; now, however, many more people seem to be taking this a step further by instead trying to replicating... Read more »

Class Warfare: A Close Battle Ensues In The First Week

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 7, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

This first week of Class Warfare, it was a tough battle to see who would top the charts. A total of 40 people were asked in each class, and there was only a difference of 4 between first and last place. The seniors came in last place with a total of 13 correct answers. In third place was the juniors... Read more »

From DC Alum to Man of God

From DC Alum to Man of God

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 6, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

When God created the world, he made humans in his image. Humans were meant to be priests of creation, to “fill the earth and subdue it” (Gen. 1:28). As priests of creation, we are supposed to speak on behalf of all the world and worship God for it. However, very few people rise to the position of... Read more »

New Falcon at the Helm

New Falcon at the Helm

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
February 5, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

This is an exciting week for Divine Child athletics as we welcome head football coach Steve Robb as our newest Falcon. Coach Robb was previously an assistant coach at DC from 1981-85. His most recent head-coaching gig was at Milan, where he led them to a very impressive 168-78 record. Coach Robb said... Read more »

We Are Made For Service

We Are Made For Service

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 22, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Alex Graham is a typical tenth grade student. She loves volleyball and her high school ministry group where she can hang out with her friends she doesn't normally see. Except she's not a typical student. She goes above and beyond when it comes to helping others. Every year, Alex and about 100 other people... Read more »

Class Warfare: Prepare for Battle

Josh Hejka, Associate Editor
January 22, 2012
Filed under Uncategorized

Next issue, there will be a new feature entitled "Class Warfare". This feature will pit class against class in a trivia contest. One class will win each week, and points will accumulate to determine the overall champion. Watch the halls for our Faith in Action reporters, and help your class win the Class... Read more »