Nobel Peace Prize Finalists

Bella Lopez, Staff Writer

In 1901, the first Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Jean Henry Dunant, founder of the Red Cross and Frédéric Passy, who was the president and founder of the French peace society. Between 1901 and 2015, 870 individuals and 23 organizations were given the Nobel Peace Prize. Some of these individuals and organizations were Mother Theresa, UNICEF, and Martin Luther King Jr.

Because of Alfred Nobel, who was the founder of dynamite, the Nobel Peace Prize exists to this day. In his will, he left about 265 million dollars to fund the prizes. Now, scientists, actvists and authors are elligible to win the prize. Each year, many people and organizations are submitted to be a nominee to win the Nobel Peace Prize. Last year, people such as Angela Merkel, a German Statesman and research scientist, and Pope Francis were nominated. The National Dialogue Quartet, a group that works towards building a pluralistic democracy in Tunisa, won the Nobel Peace Prize last year.

This year, many of the same names are rumored to be on the candidate list, but there is also some new ones. Pope Francis and Angela Merkel are still on the candidate list, but the other nominies are a Greek Island Group who welcomes Syrian refugees, Nadia Murad, who is an escaped ISIS slave who is a women’s and human rights activist, Amal Clooney, Nadia Murad’s lawyer and a human right’s activist, and also Donald Trump.

There are many complaints of why Donald Trump is on the candidate list. The person who nominated him, who is not named, had stated that Trump should win the Nobel Peace Prize because of “his vigorous peace through strength ideology, used as a threat weapon of deterrence against radical Islam, ISIS, nuclear Iran and Communist China.’’

People argue that Donald Trump doesn’t deserve it because he hasn’t done anything for the country, that is he sexist, or racist. But on the other hand, people make the argument that he is the best for the United States, and that he is the best canidate for the presidential election. Both sides equally have a valid argument. Donald Trump has said some offensive things, such has “If I were running ‘The View’, I’d fire Rosie O’Donnell. I mean, I’d look at her right in that fat, ugly face of hers, I’d say ‘Rosie, you’re fired.’’ He can be harsh and crude. But, he has contributed majorly to America. For example, Donald Trump sent 200 of his own to help look for survivors during the September 11 attacks or when he donated his money to many health organizations.

There’s always controversy with Trump, even when it comes to the Nobel Peace Prize. But people shouldn’t focus solely on Trump. There are plenty of other nominees who should recieve the attention that Trump is getting, such as Nadia Murad. Nadia Murad is an escaped slave from ISIS that is now a human rights activist and a women’s rights activist. She was on TIME’s most influential people of 2016. Nadia fights for the Yazidi group, the group that she belongs to, and is under persecution by ISIS. Nadia is now the new UN Goodwill Ambassador. Her lawyer is Amal Clooney, who is also up for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Whether it’s Pope Francis, Donald Trump or Nadia Murad, the Nobel Peace Prize will go to someone who truly deserves it. It will be awarded on December 10, 2016. The winners will receive a gold medal, a diploma, and 1.2 million dollars.