2013: Year In Review

2013 was a landmark year in news, both within the United States and internationally. Take a look at twelve of 2013’s biggest stories:

January: On January 21st, or Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President Barack Obama was inaugurated for his second term in office. As he took the oath of office, he used bibles that belonged to both King Jr. and Abraham Lincoln, both of whom fought for civil rights during their lives.

February: February 14th saw the arrest of Oscar Pistorius, an Olympian from South Africa. He was charged with murder after his girlfriend, Reeva Steenkamp, was found dead inside their home with multiple gunshot wounds. Although Pistorius claimed that he mistook her for an intruder, the charges still stood. He is currently awaiting trial.

March: Late on March 13th, white smoke poured from the Sistine Chapel’s chimney, signaling that a new pontiff had been elected after Pope Benedict XVI’s resignation. Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, of Argentina, took the Papal Office that night as Pope Francis. He is the first Latin American pope in the Church’s history and the third to hail from outside of Italy.pope

April: The annual Boston Marathon ended in tragedy when bombs exploded at the finish line, killing three and injuring dozens. In a statement later that day, President Obama said that “Any responsible individuals, any responsible groups will feel the full weight of justice.” Four days later, Tamerlan Tsarnaev, one of the bombers, was killed in a police shootout. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, another suspect, was apprehended after a tense standoff.

May: On May 22, two men attacked and killed a uniformed London soldier, Lee Rigby, with knives and a meat cleaver. After the soldier was killed, police were able to apprehend the two murderers. The two men were recently found guilty during trial.

June: It’s revealed in early June that the National Security Agency, or NSA, utilized PRISM to spy on the U.S. Citizens private information, such as email conversations and Skype and Facebook info. The Guardian, the newspaper that first broke the story, did not initially reveal their source, but it was later revealed that Edward Snowden, a former NSA employee, was the source of the leaks. Further leaks indicated that Boundless Informant, another NSA tool, is used to watch private activity in every country in the world.

July: July 22 saw the birth of Princess Catherine’s baby son. The Duchess of Cambridge gave birth to George Alexander Louis in the Lindo Wing of St. Mary’s Hospital in London. Young George is third in line to the Royal Throne.

August: After spending more than two months in a Moscow airport, NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden is granted temporary asylum in Russia against the US’s wishes. As a result, President Obama cancels a planned Summit meeting with Russian President Vladimir Putin, which as scheduled to take place later in the year.

September: Aaron Alexis, a thirty four year old Navy reservist, killed twelve people at Washington D.C.’s Navy Yard on September 16th. He is later killed in a shootout with police.

October: After a standoff in Congress over the Affordable Care Act, the government is forced to shut down on October 1st. This results in the closing of all National Parks and Smithsonian museums, but mail services, unemployment, and social security continue. The shutdown lasts sixteen days and ends after the debt ceiling is raised through February 2014.

November: In the Philippines, one of the strongest typhoons to ever make landfall struck on November 8th. This storm, known as Tyhpoon Haiyan, affected more than 4 million people across several Filipino islands. Winds were estimated to be blowing at nearly 190 miles per hour. The death toll has reached at least 4,000 according to the Philippines National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council, but several people are still missing.

December: On December 5th, Nelson Mandela, former South African president and anti-apartheid activist, died after months of complications from lung infection. After spending twenty seven years in prison, he would go on to become the first Black President of South Africa and ban racial segregation in the region. Mournings took place all over the world for the late leader.

What was the most important news story of the year to you?