Tragic Plane Crash in Brazil

Drew Posh, Staff Writer

Chapecoense football team fairy-tale story ends with a tragic event. Chapecoense were promoted Serie A, Brazil’s top soccer division, for the first time in its history in 2014. The football team out of Brazil was on their way to play in the finals of the Copa Sudamericana. This is the second biggest tournament in the country. They were supposed to play Atlético Nacional for the finals. Once Atlético Nacional found out about the accident, they immediately went to the CONMEBOL,the South American Football Confederation, to award Chapecoense the title. Truly this is what football is all about. Incredible.

The winner of the Copa Sudamericana becomes eligible to play in the Recopa Sudamericana. The winner of this tournament also gets entry onto the next edition of the Copa Libertadores, South America’s premier club competition. They also can play in the Supercopa Euroamericana and the Suruga Bank Championship. So there is a lot at stake for this finals game of the Copa Sudamericana.

On November 28, 2016, Flight 2933 was flying from Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia, to Medellin, Colombia. The plane ran out of fuel after reporting an electrical fault. There were 77 people aboard, including the Brazilian football team Chapecoense. 71 people were killed and only 6 survived. 3 players survived and 19 were killed along with the coaching staff. It is a very tragic and surprising event.

About nine of the club’s players did not travel with the rest of the team on the plane, according to local media sources. They were Alejandro Martinuccio, Nenem, Demerson, Marcelo Boeck, Andrei, Hyoran, Nivaldo, Moises and Rafael Lima. Goalkeeper Marcelo Boeck did not go with them because he was celebrating his 32nd birthday. Alejandro Martinuccio was not with the temabecause of an injury. Veteran keeper Nivaldo wasn’t selected to play with them so he could play in his 300th game with the club in the last game of the regular season. After what had happened, the 42-year old sad he wanted to retire right away, but now he wants to play in the last game to honor his fallen team.

The names of the fallen players are as follows: Marcos Danilo Padilha, team captain Loureiro Cleber Santana, Bruno Rangel, Tiaguinho, Lucas Gomes da Silva, Filipe Jose Machado, Everton Kempes dos Santos Goncalves, Ananias Eloi Castro Monteiro, Willian Thiego de Jesus, Josimar Rosado da Silva Tavares, Dener Assuncao Braz, Guilherme Gimenez de Souza, Sergio Manoel Barbosa Santos, Matheus Bitencourt da Silva, Jose Gildeixon Clemente de Paiva, Ailton Cesar Junior Alves da Silva, Arthur Brasiliano Maia, Marcelo Augusto Mathias da Silva, and Mateus Lucena dos Santos.

The survivors are as follows: Jakson Ragnar Follmann, Alan Luciano Ruschel, and Helio Hermito Zampier Neto.

Please keep the players, coaches, the other people on board, and their family and friends in your prayers.