The Giant Pandas of 2016

Bella Lopez, Staff Writer

2016 was a difficult and eventful year for everyone around the world. There were many terrorists attacks, such as the one in Nice, France. There were shootings and deaths of famous legends, such as Muhammad Ali and David Bowie that shocked the nation. The election also added to the hostile environment this year. There weren’t many happy and forgiving stories that appeared in 2016. But one of the few was about pandas.

In Chengdu, China at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, 23 giant pandas were born on September 26, 2016. This was a compelling amount because it was almost twice as high from 2015. These pandas were on display for the public to see. People could watch the 1 to 4 month pandas moving about. Some pandas stayed laying on the table while others wiggled around, catching the attention of the crowd. One panda even fell off!

The amount of these pandas are important because the species is endangered. In 1990, pandas were moved off of the Threatened Species list and onto the Endangered Species List. From the census in 2014, there are 1,864 giant pandas are left in the wild. They are endangered because of the impact of the hunters and habitat loss. Because of habitat loss, there is a loss in bamboo, which is the Giant panda’s main food source.

What can you do to help the endangered Giant Pandas? You can donate to the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) on their website. For example, you can donate 56 dollars and it will help support a ranger go through a 5-day training course and this could help obtain information about the Giant panda’s habitat. If you donate 1,392 dollars, you are able to save an injured panda.

Giant pandas are one of the world’s most adorable animals, so it will be very heartbreaking if the species eventually goes extinct. The 23 newborn baby pandas gives the cuddly breed and the panda lovers hope for a better future for them.