The Importance of Title IX

Amber Morgan, Staff Writer

College sports is shameful, it’s not just the fact that they take money from sponsorships and forces players to wear brands that they may not be commutable in, or the fact that they do not pay the student athletes, but one of the most shameful thing collages have done is the breaking of Title IX.

Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.” According to Miss Heard Magazine “The Importance of Title IX and Women’s Sports. In 1972, a law was enacted to help prevent gender discrimination in the United States educational athletic system. This law, known commonly as Title IX, gives each gender equal rights to educational programs, activities, and federal financial assistance.”

Before Title IX only 7% of the students participating in any collage school sports are women. Just 40 years ago many young women were not admitted into many colleges, and it was very hard to get/receive athletic scholarships, and know today women have the chance to be see as equals on the field as players or off the field as coaches, and yet there are only a few women head coaches, and or athletic directors.

According to breakthecycle.org Title IX also includes gender specific violence. This includes sexual nature, verbal abuse, or bullying. We see this being broken all the time in college especially in a sexual way. College rape cases are an enormous dilemma today. Brock Turner a former swimmer and student at Stanford University, Turner sexually assaulted an unconscious woman who went to the university and was sentenced 6 months in jail. The 21 year old was released from Santa Clara County Jail in San Jose, California on September 2nd 2016 after only spending 3 of the 6 months behind bars. This caused a nationwide debut, reporters crowded around him as he walked out of the county jail. Judge Aaron Persky sentenced Turner in June of this year and many people are disappointed in the fact he only served half of his sentenced. Laurie Smith a Santa Clara County Sheriff tell CNN reporters “”We don’t know who picked him up or where he’s going, but we’re done with him, He should be in prison right now, but he’s not in our custody.” Brock Turner was not the first student to commit this crime and he won’t be the last.

Title IX is one of the most important thing in college sports, and to see college sports breaking that is shameful.