Happy Thanksgiving

Drew Posh, Staff Writer

What is Thanksgiving really about? Is it about the turkey, cranberries, or pie? Or maybe the fact that family members get together to celebrate and are thankful for each other?

Thanksgiving is all those things and more. Thanksgiving is where family gets together to eat food, talk about what they’re thankful for, watch football, and uphold family tradition. There are many traditional things my family does for Thanksgiving. We always wake up really early and watch the movie The Christmas Carol (1984). Then my dad works on getting the turkey ready for family coming over. Family are coming from all around including Wisconsin. We then help making all the pies and other food that will be present that day. So like cranberries, potatoes, stuffing, and more. The best part of the Thanksgiving meal is just sitting down and being with all your family and sharing stories while having so much good food. It is truly an American holiday.

Football is another reason why Thanksgiving gathers family around. The Detroit Lions, my family’s favorite team (except my dad who grew up with the Minnesota Vikings), play every single year on Thanksgiving. If for any reason my family starts arguing, once the Lions come on, everything is forgotten and we become closer than ever. This year the Lions are playing the Minnesota Vikings for the battle for 1st place in their division. The Lions already beat Minnesota this year 22–16 with winning in overtime. It will be a entertaining but exciting game this year that we all can’t wait to watch.

That’s all fine and dandy but Thanksgiving is all about being humble and grateful for the things we have or receive. I am most thankful for my family, friends, the food and clothes I have, and all the talents that God has blessed me with. It is truly a blessing to live with a family so great and loving and friends who are always there when I need them. I am grateful for the food on my table when I come home and the clothes that I wear. And I thank God for the talents he has given me in athletics and in life. Hope everyone has a great day on turkey day. Happy Thanksgiving!